Monday, February 26, 2007

U.S. Funds Being Secretly Funneled To Violent Al Qaeda-Linked Groups

Seriously. WTF? This is BIG. Iran-Contra anyone? Can we please, please just remove this entire administration and start over? Pretty please?
New Yorker columnist Sy Hersh says the “single most explosive” element of his latest article involves an effort by the Bush administration to stem the growth of Shiite influence in the Middle East (specifically the Iranian government and Hezbollah in Lebanon) by funding violent Sunni groups.
Hersh says the U.S. has been “pumping money, a great deal of money, without congressional authority, without any congressional oversight” for covert operations in the Middle East where it wants to “stop the Shiite spread or the Shiite influence.” Hersh says these funds have ended up in the hands of “three Sunni jihadist groups” who are “connected to al Qaeda” but “want to take on Hezbollah.”
Hersh summed up his scoop in stark terms: “We are simply in a situation where this president is really taking his notion of executive privilege to the absolute limit here, running covert operations, using money that was not authorized by Congress, supporting groups indirectly that are involved with the same people that did 9/11.”

Transcript and video at Think Progress. [AMERICAblog]

Labels: , , , , ,

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Your RDA of Irony

1)Iranian separatist carried out two major bombings in Iran last week - one with major casualties; 2) These Iranian separatists or terrorists are operating from within Iraq; and 3) to quote AJ at AMERICAblog, "Iran is claiming that the explosives used in the attack against the Iranian military were manufactured in . . . wait for it . . . the U.S. This claim is, of course, unverifiable, but by the standards of our current administration, I guess our government just purposefully attacked Iran, or something."

Meanwhile, here's the headline from today's BBC News: US 'Iran attack plans' revealed

Labels: , ,

Friday, February 16, 2007

Where Have All The Liars Gone


No One's Drinking Bush's Kool-Aid on Iran

An excellent editorial on why the public isn't falling for Bush's standard technique when it comes to Iran. Dreyfuss also nails Bush on his miserable showing at Wednesday's news conference - the one that sent my blood pressure into overdrive:

All by himself, the president is trying to turn Iran into a scary, al-Qaida-allied, nuke-wielding menace. But he's not fooling anyone. The potent "war president" of 2002-2003 is now an incoherent, mewling Wizard of Oz-like figure, and people are paying attention to the man behind the curtain.
[Raw Story]

Labels: , , ,

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Idiot in Chief

OK, so King George's little "news conference" has given me a migraine. George Bush and his cabal are dangerously out of control and they are about to get us into an even bigger mess than we're already in. So, here's my rant:

GWB is bound and determined to get us into a war with Iran, and anyone who believes otherwise just isn't paying attention or is in deep denial. At this point, if the Administration says one thing, you can bet the opposite is true. Worst part is they are using the same tried and true combination of deception, misinformation and distorted intelligence that got us into a quagmire in Iraq to fabricate a case for war with Iran. For the life of me, I don't know why the Press Corps even bothers to show up for a "news conference" unless it's for comic relief.

Here's just one example of what the great decider had to say about allegations that Iran is providing the Iraqi Shia opposition with weapons:

"Here's my point, either they knew or didn't know. What matters is, is that they're there. What's worse, that the government knew, or that the government didn't know?"

Sir, you haven't a fucking clue, much less a point. All signals point to some sort of US military action against Iran in the near future (with what army, I'm not sure). If you are going to bomb Iran into the Stone Age, it matters a great deal whether or not the Iranian government "knows" these weapons are being funneled into Iraq.

Furthemore, why are we suddenly rattling sabers over this new, grave threat to our troops when weapons of Iranian origin have been noted in Iraq for over two years. For that matter, what about the Chinese, Russian, and yes, American-made weapons that have been used against our troops from the beginning of this debacle? Let's just invade everyone!

There really needs to be a nationwide cry for this man's resignation. It is long, long overdue.

Labels: , , ,