Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Those Were the Days

Most of you know I loves me some Dolly Parton – she’s my favorite drag queen in the whole wide world. I finally heard her new album, Those Were the Days, last night – WOW! I had heard about it a month or so ago and thought it sounded interesting, but no one told me it was an anti-war album. Of course, Dolly says it’s a peace album, but you be the judge. It’s all flower child/freedom rock anthems from the 60s and 70s performed as duets and ensembles; she drags out (possibly exhumes) Porter Wagoner and other classic performers like Roger McGuinn, Judy Collins, Kris Kristofferson and Cat Stevens – I mean Yusuf Islam – and adds new blood with Keith Urban, Norah Jones and Allison Krauss. The album is beautifully done; so much so it’s hard to single out any one track. The cover of the Beatles Imagine is clearly the star of the album; but Blowin in the Wind, Me and Bobby McGee, Crimson and Clover and Turn, Turn, Turn are all amazing. Add to that Where Have All The Flowers Gone and The Cruel War and tell me this ain’t no anti-war-fuck-you-Bush album.

Viva la Dolly! May your make up never run and your tits never fall.

http://www.sugarhillrecords.com/catalog/pagemaker.cgi?4007

5 Comments:

At 10/26/2005 1:38 PM, Blogger Schroger said...

so you have the CD?

 
At 10/26/2005 2:33 PM, Blogger ThomG said...

Yeah, I'll try to put it in another place where you can find it...

 
At 10/27/2005 9:26 AM, Blogger ThomG said...

She'll be in Tulsa Nov. 9, but unfortunately I can't go. It's at the Mabee Center -- I'd turn into a pillar of salt...

 
At 10/27/2005 1:19 PM, Blogger ThomG said...

Good point Daniel. The whole place could go up in flames!

Tickets are $44.50 and $59.50. I'm not sure I love Dolly that much...

 
At 10/27/2005 2:06 PM, Blogger Schroger said...

damn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home