Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I went to see Notes on a Scandal. I've been looking forward to seeing this film ever since I saw a trailer over six months ago, and it took forever to open here. Brilliant film! Not at all pleasant subject matter, but handled masterfully. Dame Judi Dench delivers the goods and leaves you wanting more. Cate Blanchett's performance is more subdued, but equally good imho. I don't think Dench will beat out Helen Mirren for the best actress Oscar, but she's a very close second. Go see this film now!

I also caught Pan's Labyrinth this weekend. Another amazing film. Again, not a feel good movie. It's downright difficult to watch at times. The melding of the fantasy sequences and the historical drama, though an unlikely combination, is seemless and makes you want to believe. Special effects, costumes and set-design are definitely co-stars of this film, but they never ditract from the powerful story.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 1/30/2007 3:29 PM, Blogger Shebang said...

I saw Pan's Labyrinth this weekend too. It was brilliant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home