Tuesday, January 31, 2006

SOTU Voce

A moment of gravity:

Now that it is final, I am profoundly saddened by the Alito appointment. I am also sickened by the Democrats' utter failure to mount even a modest opposition to his confirmation - sorry Kerry, Kennedy et al but your eleventh hour antics do not count as a serious effort. Today has not been a good day and it's bound to get even worse with the State of the Union address later tonight.

In the back of my mind, I keep thinking (hoping) we may be coming to some sort of tipping point. I don’t really have words for what that may be, but I think Gore Vidal may be describing this event in his own, annual
state of the union address. If nothing else, he certainly sums up the true state of the union. Here’s a paragraph:

This is an unpatriotic government. This is a government that deals openly in illegalities, whether it is attacking a country which has done us no harm, two countries -- Iraq and Afghanistan -- because we now believe, not in declaring war through Congress as the Constitution requires, but through the President. ‘Well, I think there are some terrorists over there, and I think we got to bomb them, huh? We'll bomb them.’ Now, we’ve had idiots as presidents before. He's not unique. But he's certainly the most active idiot that we have ever had.

Gore Vidal is a national treasure and wise beyond reckoning. The part about Tiberius is brilliant. [
via]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home